My Music


Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Incredulity and the Like

Okay, why is it so hard to believe I'm not dating anyone right now?! I went to a wedding reception for my friend Alisa today, and the most often question asked was "How's the love life?" Asked many different times, in many different ways. I gave them all the same response. I wasn't seeing anybody. And every single one of those darned inquirers gave me looks of incredulity and then replied, "I don't believe you."

Now, this is an increasingly recurring theme in my life right now. I didn't go to Idaho with my family a few weeks ago, and three of my siblings asked, "For who?!" Honestly people, is it really that hard to believe?!?! I guess I deserve it, in one sick way or another. I've dated a lot, and so people have some right to assume I'm always seeing someone. Well I gotta news flash for ya folks. I'm not. I'm not seeing anyone, and I'm not sorry. I like where I am right now, I like having me and myself for company, and I guess that in a way, I'm a little glad people are so surprised. That's right, you didn't think it could happen, but it did, so now what? That's what I thought. Okay, I'm sorry.

The truth is, I needed this. People will talk to me sometimes about how they wish they could get a girl/boyfriend, or how they wished this specific person would take interest, and I never could understand why it was they needed someone so badly. I always tell those people that I don't need anyone to lean on like that, that I wouldn't be bothered if I had no one. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't lying when I said that, and it turns out (to my relief), I'm not. My life is good. How is yours?

2 comments:

Megan said...

I believe you. I know you well enough to know that you don't need a guy to hang on to. You are an independent woman and I've always loved that about you! I'm glad you understood my pointless ranting. I knew you of all people would understand just about every bullet on my list. Still nothing from Uruguay, hence the rant. I love you for being you and not needing a boyfriend! Don't forget during the school year you were without someone for a while. I'm not sorry. :) I miss you!

Andrew and Ariel said...

So I decided to check out your blog today and I had a lot to catch up on! Kyle huh? We'll see if he can pass my test, I think I might attach an obstacle course to the rest of the requirements. I'm glad you like your job. And I'm glad you like your life, most of the time. I like mine too, and I'll like it more when there's another life with it.
Peace and love,
Big Brother Marshall
-I feel like a hefty seminary teacher for writing my name that way. hmmm