My Music


Monday, July 28, 2008

Life (And Its Cost)

I feel sick today. And I felt sick yesterday. And I've felt sick on and off for the last two weeks. I think my body is trying to tell me something. It's probably mutiny. But other than that, I feel fine. I'm finally done with going to work at 6:00 instead of 7:00. I'm getting better at the process I was already good at. I'm learning new things. I love this part of life.

I've been so busy with work lately, and when it's not work, it's either friends or family, or sleep. This is by no means a bad or tiresome pattern, but sometimes I just wish there were more hours in the day. I miss having energy and time to do all the things I loved to do. I miss reading books, and writing. I miss lying down on the lawn without falling asleep. I miss staying up late. I know I'm incredibly blessed to have the job I do, but it came with a very heavy price. I don't blame it though. I think the day when my life changed would have come with or without my current occupation, so I can only be grateful that it came in the form that it did.

These days I try harder to love my life, rather than be the critic. When I look back on these days, I'll probably miss them, just like I miss every moment in my life. I think I'm glad of that. It makes change harder, but that's a small price to pay. I hope everyone realizes sooner than later that its easier to love their life than loathe it. When making a list of pros and cons, unless you're a homeless man living in Alaska living off refried beans and fish heads, I'm sure you'll find that the good outweigh the bad. Or if you live in Nottingham. Apparently that's not so great either.

2 comments:

Megan said...

I am so glad to know that you are content with your life. I love seeing you happy.

Andrew and Ariel said...

"Every day . . .has its ups and downs,
Sometimes ups . . . outnumber the downs."
Did you know that Roger Miller wrote the music to the Robin Hood cartoon and plays the minstrel rooster? He also wrote the music to "Big River." Full-time work is hard, but it's a good experience, and you may not be doing it forever, so it gives some perspective. Rock on. Or should I say, "oodalolly."