My Music


Thursday, May 22, 2008

Paradoxes, Oxymorons, and Catch 22's

"It's enough to make a body ashamed of the human race."
-Huckleberry Finn

I am sometimes amazed at people's lack of respect. Amazed and bewildered. It makes me so sad to see someone pass judgment on another whom he may hardly know. Well, sometimes it makes me sad. Mostly it makes me angry. I know I've had my share of opinions when it comes to other people, but I only hope that at the end of the day, my friends know that I am there to live up to our friendship, and not betray their trust with spiteful words. That's all I really want.

I have friends. People I trust, and who love me. They're the kind of people I wish I'd met earlier in life so that I could have better followed their examples. They're all on missions, or at college now, but they were those friends that made me want to be better. I hope that everyone in the world has at least one person like that. I was blessed enough to get a whole bunch of them.

Tonight I witnessed one of my dear friends mocked in his absence, by people he hardly knows. How does that make a person feel? I have encountered many worst versions of myself in many different scenarios, but I hope I never find that worst version where I feel justified in saying something unkind about anyone else, be it a friend or acquaintance. Every one of us deserves so much better. Huck was right. Human beings can be so cruel to each other.

No comments: